Central Chapter’s run to Cars in the Park on 6 August 2017

Wing Riders from Gauteng, Mpumalanga and Swaziland gathered at the final departure point, the Sasol garage on the R55, and departed at 08:30 to Cars in the Park.

 

The Pretoria Old Motor Club was established in 1966. The first CARS in the PARK was held in 1980 at the POMC Club grounds in Keuning Street, Silverton. Nine cars of POMC club members were displayed.

From 1982, other one make clubs were also invited to display their vehicles. By 2005 more than 80 clubs displayed about 2 000 vehicles and the POMC grounds became too small to accommodate any further growth. After investigation it was decided to move the event in 2006 to the Zwartkops Race Track.

Since those early times, where the event was strictly a classic car show, the event has evolved to the point where it attracts some 3 000 special-interest motor cars and motor cycles, over 100 car clubs, associated motoring and apparel store holders and over 15 000 spectators.

It is by far the biggest car show on the South African calendar, and in fact it is the biggest event on the Zwartkops Raceway calendar.

Cars that show up every year range from vintage machines dating back as early as 1904 to classics from the 1950s and 1960s, hot rods, muscle cars, dragsters, customised motorcycles and hot turbocharged street machines. It is this varied mix of motorised adoration that makes the event so special.

Wing Riders enjoyed a lovely day out, while their bikes and trikes, parked in the pit lane, were admired by many spectators.

Lots of beautiful photos and videos of our run to Cars in the Park, can be viewed on our Facebook group. Click here.

 

Speak Your Mind